Sunday, October 3, 2021

Lesson 22 - Pick Any Two


With the Wings over the Rockies Museum's 2nd exhibit space located across the ramp from where we tie down at Centennial, you never know what you're going to see sitting out there...


 There are three critical things to be in control of during a landing. 1) Airspeed, 2) Altitude, 3) Alignment. When it came to my landings today, it seemed like it was "pick any two." Either I was in control of airspeed and altitude, but not lined up with the centerline, or I was lined up with centerline, controlling my altitude, but blowing through at 100 knots, or on centerline, at a good airspeed, but 1000' above the friggin' runway. 


But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's go back a bit. First, I wasn't expecting to fly today. My original plane had been grounded for maintenance early last week, so the school bumped me to the simulator. My instructor isn't a big fan of the sim for early pilot training, so he kept an eye out in case a plane became available last minute. One did, so he booked that one instead. That reservation didn't last long as that plane  also got sidelined for maintenance. So, no plane, no fly. My instructor said he'd keep his eyes open in case something came available last minute, but wasn't holding his breath. I pretty much wrote the lesson off, and didn't do any kind of mental pre-work that I usually do (chair fly, etc.) 


My phone chimes at 6:30 in the morning with a text message, "got a plane, meet me at 11." Okay, then. I guess I am flying today. There was part of me which thought "I'm not mentally prepared for this, I should scrub." But I didn't. Got the kids to school, got myself ready, and headed to the airport. Arrived, chatted about the flight and a few questions about my medical exam which I'm working on getting everything prepped for, and we headed to the plane. Preflight went well, taxi, run-up, etc., all went smoothly. Still, in retrospect, I think my mind was still only 90% focused. Something was distracting me. Cleared for 35R initially, then ATC moved me over to 35L and had me switch to the secondary tower frequency. No problem. Cross 35R, then position to take off on 35L. Cleared, apply throttle, and pull back. That was the first real indication that today was going to be a bit rougher than usual. My climb out was not clean, to the point where my instructor turned to me and said "are you sure you've done this before?" Truth be told, I can't really tell you what was going through my mind. It was just brain fog; distraction. 


Because we took off on 35L, we would be flying a left pattern. All my previous landing exercises have been right pattern. This was going to be new. I liked the idea since in theory I'm on the left side of the plane, so I'd be able to see better, as opposed to having to look across my instructor in the right turns. This was going to be a lot easier. For some reason, I totally blanked the landmark for the downwind leg. I'm flying the same pattern as I do for 17R, just the opposite direction. The landmarks are the same. But did I remember that? Nooo. I turned my crosswind leg, leveled the wings, and kept flying straight wondering to myself what the downwind landmark was. Duh, it's I-25, idiot. The big road with lots of cars that you're just about to fly over. This was not starting well. 


It turns out that my thinking that left turning patterns would be easier was a bit off the mark today, too. Why? Because my brain decided today that since I don't have to look out across my instructor to make turns, I can make them by looking out the left window at the ground below instead. Did you know that doesn't really work? (But Wal-Mart has their logo on the top of their building, so you know what it is as you're flying over.) If you're looking out the left window towards the ground, you're not watching your pitch attitude, which is kind of important when you're landing. If you pitch up too much in a left turn 500' above the ground, it very well may be the last thing you do on this earth. It's that important to keep it under control. I only made my instructor scream in horror once, but once was too much. Look. Out. The. Front. Window. I don't know how Lindbergh did it with only side windows, but I also ain't Charles Lindbergh.


Suffice to say my landings today were not smooth. We had two go-arounds out of necessity, not just because my instructor decided to call one as a drill. (Even those weren't without hiccups. Build airspeed then climb.) As I wrote above, I was concentrating on two of the three aspects of landing, and letting the third (whichever of the three it was) take a back seat, suffering the consequences as a result. It became a question of "which piece of the puzzle am I neglecting this time around?" 


The advantage (if it can be called that) of today's lesson is that I learned to recognize how the landing is affected by whichever aspect I was neglecting. Though it did take a bit for my brain to clear whatever fog it was in, eventually it cleared and I was able to start analyzing what I was doing while I was doing it. If I was concentrating on keeping centerline and altitude under control, my airspeed was all over the place, often way too high. If my airspeed was under control, I was up and down on altitude like a kid in a bouncy house, or off centerline like a drunk sailor. But that's part of putting it all together. If there's one takeaway from today's lesson, it's that for the first time, I felt comfortable in my ability to control the plane in each of the three critical aspects of landing. I know how to control pitch to control airspeed. I know how to control power to control altitude. I know how to control aileron and rudder to stay on centerline. I made the control inputs and saw/felt the tangible changes in the plane's path. What I wasn't doing was all three at the same time. That comes with practice. And more practice, and more practice. 


Still, I wonder if today's other lesson was "if you're really not feeling it, don't go." How much risk factor did I add to the equation today because I wasn't 100% focused? My instructor took the controls more today than he has in a long time, either because he wasn't comfortable with the flight attitude or because he felt I needed a few seconds to regroup. I can't help but wonder if I was in reality too distracted to be safe. Pilot attitude and emotion is one of the preflight checklist items. (PAVE - Pilot, Aircraft, enVironment, External pressures.) Was today a case where I pushed the Pilot aspect more than I should have? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated by the author. Spam will not be published.

Lesson 59 - Zen Interrupted

I don't know that I really intended to have back-to-back solo flights, but--hey--I have the endorsement, I may as well enjoy it, right? ...